Dr. J. Basil Peters Bio
M&A Advisor, Exit Coach and Angel Investor
Dr. Peters is the CEO of Strategic Exits Corp which specializes in optimum exit transactions for BC technology companies. He believes exits are the best part of being an entrepreneur and investor.
While still in grad school, Basil co-founded Nexus Engineering. Nexus grew to seven companies with over 300 employees with operations in Hong Kong, Jakarta, London and five Canadian cities.
The first company in the group, Nexus Engineering, became the second largest manufacturer of cable television headends in the world with installations in over 100 countries. Nexus Engineering and one other company in the group were successfully sold to Scientific Atlanta NYSE:SFA) of Atlanta, Georgia in 1993 and is now part of Cisco. Basil was Chairman and CEO from the founding through to the sale.
In the mid 1990’s, Dr. Peters worked in Silicon Valley as the CEO of ICTV Inc, an interactive television company funded by IBM, Cox Cable and the Lauder Venture Fund.
His first book: Early Exits - Exit Strategies for Entrepreneurs and Angel Investors (But Maybe Not Venture Capitalists) was selected by Inc Magazine as one of the ten best business books of the year.
- Distinguished Alumni Award for Entrepreneurial Innovation from BCIT, 2003.
- Outstanding Young Alumnus Award, UBC Alumni Association, 1993.
- Honorary Membership, Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia, 1992.
- Entrepreneur of the Year awarded by the Editorial Board of BC Business Magazine, May 1991.
- Alumni Award, BCIT Alumni Association,1991.
- Meritorious Achievement Award, The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of British Columbia, 1991.
- Silver Medal in Entrepreneurship, Canada Awards for Business Excellence, 1990.
- 40 under 40 - selected as one of Vancouver's top business achievers under the age of 40 by the Business in Vancouver newspaper, 1990.
- Business Leader of the Year by the Vancouver Junior Board of Trade, May 1989.
- Gold Medal for Industrial Innovation, The British Columbia Science Council, 1988.
- Certificates of Merit in Entrepreneurship, Canada Awards for Business Excellence, 1987, 1988 and 1989.
- Alumni Achievement Award for Business Achievement, British Columbia Institute of Technology, 1986.
- The Successors - Canada's Emerging Business Leaders selected by Canadian Business magazine, August 1986.
- Canada Awards for Business Excellence Finalist in Entrepreneurship, 1985
In addition to his business activities, Dr. Peters was an Adjunct Professor of Engineering Sciences at Simon Fraser University from 1985 to 2000. He has also been a member of the Board of Governors of the B.C. Institute of Technology and was elected three times to the Board of Governors of the University of British Columbia.
Dr. Peters established the HTEG/Basil Peters Endowment Fund, a scholarship for outstanding students at Simon Fraser University.
Basil completed his Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical and Computer Engineering at UBC in 1982. He graduated with a Diploma of Technology in Electrical and Electronics with Honors from the B.C. Institute of Technology in 1973 and a Bachelor of Applied Science with Honors, in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of British Columbia (UBC) in 1977. In both programs, Dr. Peters achieved the highest average in his graduating class.
- Science Council of British Columbia Industrial Post Doctoral Fellowship, Nexus Engineering Corp., Nov 1982 - Oct 1984.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Postgraduate Scholarship, University of British Columbia, 1979-81 and 1977-79.
- The Hector J. MacLeod Scholarship Award from the IEEE, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC., 1979-80.
- The Sherwood Lett Memorial Scholarship, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, 1978-9 and 1977-8. At the time this was the University of British Columbia's top scholarship.
- The Association of Professional Engineers Prize, University of British Columbia, 1977.
- Charles A. and Jane C.A. Banks Foundation Scholarship, University of British Columbia, 1976-7, 1975-6 and 1974-5.
- BC Hydro and Power Authority Scholarship, British Columbia Institute of Technology, 1972-3.
- Government of the Province of British Columbia Scholarship, British Columbia Institute of Technology, 1972-3.